If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

Allworx Reach Issues

Support for Allworx Call Assistant, Mobile Link, and TAPI.
camdenroe

Allworx Reach Issues

Post by camdenroe »

Hello,

I am trying to figure out why we have no audio on our Reach apps. We can place calls but it results in no audio in both directions. Firewall rules are set to requirements. Any suggestions on what else I can check into?

Thanks!!!
wshrader

Re: Allworx Reach Issues

Post by wshrader »

This is always going to be one of two things:
1) firewall rules are not allowing/forwarding the correct ports or incorrectly. Make sure you have BOTH media port ranges.
2) SIP ALG either on the firewall or the edge device. If this device is a coax modem then this is probably still enabled unless you explicitly disabled it.

If your Allworx has a static IP address, and it should for remote handsets, you may need to put that IP in the External IP address field under the network settings. Be careful to make sure this doesn't break your SIP Proxy!
Last edited by wshrader on Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
For professional Allworx help call me! PM me for my number. :ugeek:
Something Innovative

Post by Something Innovative »

Were you able to resolve the issue??

Im having a similar issue - i can hear the caller but they cant hear me.

Im using Iphone 11
Natco

Post by Natco »

wshrader wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:00 am This is always going to be one of two things:
1) firewall rules are not allowing/forwarding the correct ports or incorrectly. Make sure you have BOTH media port ranges.
2) SIP ALG either on the firewall or the edge device. If this device is a coax modem then this is probably still enabled unless you explicitly disabled it.

If your Allworx has a static IP address, and it should for remote handsets, you may need to put that IP in the External IP address field under the network settings. Be careful to make sure this doesn't break your SIP Proxy!
I'm having the same issue. My Allworx server is on the wide open internet and is not currently behind a firewall. The only thing standing between the Allworx and the ISP is a L3 switch and edge router both provided by our SD-WAN provider. I verified with my SD-WAN provider and no ports are blocked on the edge devices and they don't do any ALG filtering.

My reach users experience the issue on WiFi and cellular data intermittently. If I put a Allworx 9204 teleworker, as an example, on any network where the issue is experienced the Allworx handset works perfectly fine.

I have opened a ticket with Allworx through my reseller but my reseller comes back saying that the Reach App is not the problem, but it's the only constant that the problem follows and I have nothing blocking services from making a good clean connection.
wshrader

Post by wshrader »

Natco wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:19 pm
wshrader wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:00 am This is always going to be one of two things:

I'm having the same issue. My Allworx server is on the wide open internet and is not currently behind a firewall. The only thing standing between the Allworx and the ISP is a L3 switch and edge router both provided by our SD-WAN provider. I verified with my SD-WAN provider and no ports are blocked on the edge devices and they don't do any ALG filtering.

My reach users experience the issue on WiFi and cellular data intermittently. If I put a Allworx 9204 teleworker, as an example, on any network where the issue is experienced the Allworx handset works perfectly fine.

I have opened a ticket with Allworx through my reseller but my reseller comes back saying that the Reach App is not the problem, but it's the only constant that the problem follows and I have nothing blocking services from making a good clean connection.
I would push back to get an explanation from Allworx technical support about what exactly is happening. It's not enough to say "not our fault". They need to help you fix it by detailing what is happening, probably by examing packet captures, so you or your IT vendor can understand what might need to be done to mitigate it.

I did encounter a scenario once where only Reach was having intermittent audio problems. We tested with generic SIP clients on Android devices, captured the calls and sent to Allworx to analyze. The generic clients worked normally. In the end, Allworx support informed us to use the same RTP ports that the generic clients used and this worked. They couldn't bother to explain why we had to do this but it mitigated the problem. All this was actually happening only on the internal WiFi. Remote Reach clients were ok.
Natco

Post by Natco »

We finally got Allworx involved on direct calls involving my SD-WAN provider, Allworx partner and Allworx. The SD-WAN provider ran a packet capture from the edge device to it's destination IP(Allworx) while I made test calls on my reach app. When the packet capture was analyzed it was discovered that the port number for the RTP packets coming from the Reach app was always changing all throughout the active call. Allworx denies that the Reach app is changing the port at the source and is pointing the finger at my ISP possibly manipulating the port number in transit. Since I knew that the Allworx handset used as a teleworker(over the WAN) works with no issue I wanted to test this for any port changes during packet transit. I staged the teleworker and made a few calls while running a packet capture. Analyzed the pcap and noticed that the RTP ports source and destination stayed the same throughout an active call. This shows proof that my SD-WAN is not doing any packet manipulation, but I wonder if the problem is that Allworx doesn't want to take the blame for reach having issues shaping packets or if the problem lies every other connection that I deal with (i.e. cellular or Wireless LAN).

Also you mentioned you configured a generic client, what app did you use for a generic client? I tried to configure up the SessionTalk SIP client for iOS but didn't have any luck with it.

Thank you for continued support.
wshrader

Post by wshrader »

Natco wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:42 pm We finally got Allworx involved on direct calls involving my SD-WAN provider, Allworx partner and Allworx. The SD-WAN provider ran a packet capture from the edge device to it's destination IP(Allworx) while I made test calls on my reach app. When the packet capture was analyzed it was discovered that the port number for the RTP packets coming from the Reach app was always changing all throughout the active call. Allworx denies that the Reach app is changing the port at the source and is pointing the finger at my ISP possibly manipulating the port number in transit. Since I knew that the Allworx handset used as a teleworker(over the WAN) works with no issue I wanted to test this for any port changes during packet transit. I staged the teleworker and made a few calls while running a packet capture. Analyzed the pcap and noticed that the RTP ports source and destination stayed the same throughout an active call. This shows proof that my SD-WAN is not doing any packet manipulation, but I wonder if the problem is that Allworx doesn't want to take the blame for reach having issues shaping packets or if the problem lies every other connection that I deal with (i.e. cellular or Wireless LAN).

Also you mentioned you configured a generic client, what app did you use for a generic client? I tried to configure up the SessionTalk SIP client for iOS but didn't have any luck with it.

Thank you for continued support.
This sounds similar to the problem I had with losing audio on Reach calls. I cannot remember what generic SIP client I used but it was on Android. It may have been ZoIPer. You can probably use a generic SIP client on a PC like MicroSIP also. Allworx never told me the detail you have about the dynamic RTP ports but that could have been the cause of my problem too. By default, the Allworx uses a huge range of UDP ports for RTP but you can actually use a handset config profile to a specific smaller range. This is what I had to do. Unfortunately the inner-workings of stuff like this is a secret Allworx does not document.
I do know that Reach and physical phones do not operate the same way. I've seen the flip side of this where the physical phone has audio issues but Reach works.

So...did Allworx give you a work-around or solution?