If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

Router model to work with remote phones

General installation and configuration help.
fastspec

Router model to work with remote phones

Post by fastspec »

Hi All,

I have a single user who works remotely and is assigned a remote 9224 allworx phone calling home to our 6x server. Because we utilize a software VPN, the user's phone connects to our server via a public IP.

The phone worked as configured with the standard ports opened to the phone, then one day, the user recieved the registration error. A little troubleshooting later confirmed that the phone works when first assigned a local ip on the user's home network, but upon rebooting their router, the phone is no longer able to register on our network. It reaches the network and tries to authenticate, but is rejected as not trusted. We've bypassed the router and get no such issues. I've verified that SIP ALG is disabled. But I can't help but assume that the router is somehow changing the packets so they are rejected by the PBX.

He is currently using a basic Netgear router (less than 2 years old) and I'd like to replace it with a model that is working in the field for others. Can you recommend a model router that your remote users are using that is working without issue?
advantagevoice

Re: Router model to work with remote phones

Post by advantagevoice »

It does sound like the SIP packets are being transformed. Netgears are touchy, but you can make it work. A few things to look at:
1. Look at the WAN IP of the Netgear and confirm it is a public IP. If it isn't, change it to AP mode so you are only using the cable/DSL modem for NAT.
2. Assuming it has a public IP, assign the phone a non-standard SIP port like 5061 from the Allworx and do the appropriate port fowards from the Netgear.
3. If nothing works and you want to try a new router, what is your budget?