If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

Occasional one-way audio behind dual-wan firewall

General installation and configuration help.
jjv

Occasional one-way audio behind dual-wan firewall

Post by jjv »

I have an Allworx 6x system that is behind a Netgear FVS336G dual-wan firewall. Our ISP that provides the SIP trunking is on WAN1 and WAN2 is a general purpose COMCAST internet-only connection to offload that traffic from WAN1. If the firewall is in the "Load Balancing" mode you have to "bind" all ports associated with Allworx calls to WAN1. Here are the current port bindings to WAN1: UDP 5060, TCP 5060, TCP 3400, TCP 8081, UDP 15000-15511, UDP 2088.

The problem is that on some (not all) incoming calls from SIP trunks, there is no audio in the incoming direction. You can't hear the person talking on the other end, and their attempt to dial an extension from an auto-attendant announcement does not get recognized. Again, this is only in the "Load Balancing" mode. If I change the firewall to only use WAN1, all calls work just fine. My conclusion is that there probably need to be additional ports bound to WAN1 in the load balancing mode but I don't see any documentation to that effect.

Since the problem doesn't always occur, since load balancing will sometimes send the ports over WAN1, that will make it work fine; but other times it will send them to WAN2 which causes the problem.

Does anyone know what additional ports I need to bind to WAN1 to solve this problem?
jeff

Re: Occasional one-way audio behind dual-wan firewall

Post by jeff »

UDP 16384-37627 and disable the IP4 & IP6 firewalls on the Comcast modem, unless it is in true bridge mode already, then just adding these ports should help. (Probably wouldn't matter much, but I would add 5061 to the UDP and TCP policies.
jjv

Re: Occasional one-way audio behind dual-wan firewall

Post by jjv »

Thanks Jeff--I actually solved the problem by creating an outgoing rule to send all messages from our phone and phone system's IP addresses to WAN1.