If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

Rings groups and shared appearances not working

General installation and configuration help.
WarlockLord

Rings groups and shared appearances not working

Post by WarlockLord »

Hi everyone,

I worked for an Allworx distributor for several years and did a few installs for him, got certified, etc. I don't work for him anymore, but I still do him favors, and he still sells me Allworx equipment at a good price, that I install occasionally on my own. Right now I'm doing my largest install ever, a Connect 731 with about 100 phones and 2 other multi-sites. Initially, I set the system up on a flat network with no VLAN, and it worked OK, but the phones took a long time to boot and call quality was lacking at times. On the flat network, everything worked fine as far as features, etc. Last week, I set up a new VLAN and have the first interface connected to the VLAN with IP 192.168.4.1/24, with the second port on the Internet, and the third port on the flat network at 10.1.110.1/16. This allowed me to keep all of the phones running on the flat network, and slowly move them into the VLAN. On the Voice VLAN (100), DHCP is working fine and the phones boot up, register, and make calls. However, I just found out today that both the Ring Group and Shared Appearance functions do not work while the phone is in the VLAN. I am unable to pick up calls that come into the extension, or make the Ring Group ring by dialing its hard-coded port number (5109). If I remove the VLAN setting and put the phone back onto the flat network, these functions work again.

Today, the my old boss reached out to Allworx support, who said this is happening because my switch is blocking broadcast traffic. DHCP operates in Broadcast and it's working fine? If I remember correctly from the training I went to, these functions use multicast traffic? Can anyone confirm or deny which type it is using and offer any advice on what could be causing my problems?