If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

New SIP provider with separate internet and SIP ports on handoff

General installation and configuration help.
prometheusjp

New SIP provider with separate internet and SIP ports on handoff

Post by prometheusjp »

Our current setup is a 6x with only LAN connected and a SIP provider on the public internet. we are moving to a new Internet and SIP provider that will be handing off internet and SIP to separate ethernet ports. I am new to AllWorx systems and just looking for some advice. I am guessing that I want to put the IP given to me for our SIP equipment on the WAN port and leave the LAN IP alone. I would also guess that I should leave the Gateway on the LAN side (because that is where the internet is) and add a static route for the SIP Proxy that points at a gateway on the WAN/SIP side.

I am just wondering if anyone has done this before and if this sounds like a good plan and if you have any suggestions or caveats that I should know about. I have a lot of IP phone system experience and a ton of network experience just have never worked on AllWorx before.
sp90378

Re: New SIP provider with separate internet and SIP ports on handoff

Post by sp90378 »

It all just depends on what/how you want to do it. A newer way that a major providor likes to do is for us to VLAN the Allworx WAN, so one VLANed interface is for true internet, for remote access, Reach, etc. and then the other VLAN would have a private IP and it used for SIP.

I always recommend against default gateways on the LAN of it if it ultimately has internet access. Even if your firewall handles its internet, I would still use the Allworx WAN and then I would setup a secondary LAN IP on your firewall and the Allworx to use as a default gateway (doing a VLAN would be ideal than just a secondary LAN IP on the network), as it would just give an extra step of isolation/protection.

As far as your initial post, that would be fine as well, using the Allworx WAN and then static route the sip traffic out that interface. That may not work though if you have to use a DNS name for the SIP server, as then the IP could change to who knows what, or balance and if it happens to an IP not included in the router then it would break voice.