If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

Allworx phone - provisioning VLAN for LAN and COMPUTER port

General installation and configuration help.
fcollerette

Allworx phone - provisioning VLAN for LAN and COMPUTER port

Post by fcollerette »

Hi,

I have a little setup modification to do.

Essentially we are putting VLANs in to split the VOIP and DATA traffic.

Here is the catch, my client uses the computer port on the phones for some of it's computers so I need to be able to configure VLANs for the phone ports.

I need to have the LAN port on VLAN 10 (TAG) and the COMPUTER port on VLAN 20 (untag).

The goal is to keep the switch ports working with either a phone or a computer throughout the switch. That explains the "UNTAG" pour the DATA vlan. Both VLAN will have access to the Allworx PBX so the provisioning while work from either network.

I know it's an unusual setup and I hope someone will be able to help me.
I wasn't able to see any configuration in the PBX that would let be specifiy the VLANs.

Thanks for your help !

Franck
fcollerette

Re: Allworx phone - provisioning VLAN for LAN and COMPUTER port

Post by fcollerette »

Seems my subject is not popular ... anyone ? Please help !
kellenw

Post by kellenw »

I have been tossing around doing something similar at our office with about 30 stations. Were you ever able to figure out a solution?
sp90378

Post by sp90378 »

This is actually not an unusual setup but the preferred setup for VOIP systems and is deployed this way by most large companies that run managed VOIP services.

The VLAN config is actually on the phones themselves. So on the phones themselves you would set them to be phone vlan 20 and then either leave PC vlan alone and do it on the switch or set PC vlan to 20. The switch port then would be tagged 10, untagged 20. I prefer that method so if they bypass the phone it will still be on the proper vlan. The port the PBX LAN plugs into would then need to be set to untagged 10.
So for example, if say using a 24 port HP switch with ports 1-20 being Phone/PC and then 21 being Firewall LAN (which will be on both VLAN's assuming the firewall supports that, so that you can do the inter-vlan routing) and 22 being PBX then it would be like this:
vlan 10
tagged 1-21
untagged 22
vlan 20
untagged 1-21,23-24

Just be sure to add static routes in the PBX to know how to get to the data network and of course a device has to be on both VLAN's so that it can route between the two.