If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

Migrating feature keys

General installation and configuration help.
Allworx6xCT

Migrating feature keys

Post by Allworx6xCT »

So our 6X failed on a reboot the other day and we needed to replace it with another unit. Much to my surprise, restoring from officesafe does not restore feature Keys as those are tied to the MAC address of the old 6 x server. Now the reseller wants another thousand dollars for new keys that we've already purchased but are in electronic limbo with our dead server.

Anybody have any experience with this kind of issue? I think it's a little ridiculous that allworx makes you purchase these Keys all over again. I say allworx because the reseller says that is the allworx policy not theirs.
~
Chris
__
Allworx Connect 536
sp90378

Re: Migrating feature keys

Post by sp90378 »

It depends on the reason of the failure. If the unit failed and you have warranty on it then just process an RMA with Allworx and they will transfer the keys to the replacement unit. If the unit was out of Warranty then Allworx can argue that a new PBX would need to be purchased and as keys are tied to hardware then new keys would have to be bought. No different then if you bought a PC in the past that came with OEM copies of Windows, Word, etc. in that if the PC dies and you get another, you cant just transfer the license/keys to the new box and use the software like before.

Honestly though, if new keys need to be bought then it may have been better to go to a Connect server as we have seen them to be more reliable over the 6X's with the CF cards. They do have trade-up programs as well
Allworx6xCT

Re: Migrating feature keys

Post by Allworx6xCT »

Thanks, that's the direction I think I'm heading in as the old unit hadl licensing for software updates but no hardware warranty. Now I'm waiting on a quote from the reseller for a 536 while I have this 6x on loan.

Appreciate the response.
~
Chris
__
Allworx Connect 536