If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

Worth upgrading to the newer Connect series servers?

General installation and configuration help.
kellenw

Worth upgrading to the newer Connect series servers?

Post by kellenw »

Hi all,
We've been running an Allworx 6x system since around 2012/2013. Our software update license recently expired, so I'm starting to look into the pros/cons of simply re-upping the software update license of the current system or going ahead and upgrading to a new Connect series system. We currently run about 40 total phones (all 9224 models with sidecars) on the standard 30 user 60 extension license. Only remote phones and people who need voicemail are users. The rest are basic extensions. We also use some extensions for various routing rules. Currently, we have room for 4 more users and 11 more extensions on our existing license. We use SIP trunks only (No FXO, T1, PRI, etc. lines), though I like the idea of having at least a few FXO ports in case the need arises.

So, for those of you who have used both the older series systems (6x, 24x, 48x) and the new Connect systems, what do you think? Is it a worthy upgrade? I would likely stick with the existing 9224 phones and sidecars. We need a ridiculous amount of BLFs, not to mention upgrading 40+ stations would be quite costly. Any features that are only available if you use the new Verge phones with the Connect system? Feature wise, is there even really a difference currently between the two systems, or would this really just be a newer hardware and possibly performance increase thing? It looks like Allworx has modified their licensing scheme with the introduction of the Connect system, and it may be more restrictive than the old licensing scheme for the X series. Any input on that? Thanks!
sp90378

Re: Worth upgrading to the newer Connect series servers?

Post by sp90378 »

We always recommend the Connect series, especially over the 6X. The new hardware is simply just much more robust. Of course there are features only available on Connect servers such as Reach Link, the whole contact picture support thing with Reach/Interact/Verge phones. As far as licensing goes, I dont really think its changed much. If anything, some things that were licenses before are now free, such as Interact Sync (as of 8.2 I believe). They normally do offer an upgrade package as well, to upgrade from say a 6X to a Connect 536 and also a package to transfer licenses which could save some money as well depending on whats moving, etc. The one issue that could come up would be if you are still running 7.7 or older and using Call Assistant, as that was a blanket license for all, where as its replacement, Interact, it is a per seat license (being a 6X you should have 5 free for having the CA license and then their 1 free-be). Now with that said, while that may not be ideal, they have not worked on CA for a long time now and I suspect even if a major bug came up, they would not patch it anyways.
kellenw

Post by kellenw »

Thanks for the info sp90378! I am intrigued by the Interact application. Are the x series boxes capable of getting the 8.2 updates with a current update license, or are they sunsetted at this point? Is there an API to integrate your own application with Interact? We are developing an in-house windows based application that is essentially a CRM and communications tracking/logging system. I'm wondering if there is a way to implement click to dial somehow, whether using Interact or some other method.
sp90378

Post by sp90378 »

Allworx is not selling the 6X12 anymore, and the 24X server cannot update past 8.0 I believe. All other server models are still currently supported to new software levels, including 8.3 which just came out last week to the general public. I am not aware of any kind of end of support time frame yet for other X series servers, and we are usually the first to know of such things.

Click to dial is a whole other ball game though. For years, and still now, they have a TAPI driver that can be integrated in many different applications, from Outlook, to CRM applications. Their TAPI driver required Call Assistant but as of 8.1 or 8.2, I believe, it is now free for anyone to use.

Interact has Sync which would be a browser plugin, so if the CRM is web based, then it should be able to see phone numbers for a click to dial.

Interact has some scripting support for inbound stuff, such as sending info in a URL format or a CMD shell script.

I would think using TAPI may be your best bet because applications often can integrate with some sort of TAPI API. Interact itself nor the Allworx has an API for that kind of integration. One issue with TAPI though is it does not support RDP type environments. So if people are using a terminal server then TAPI will not work and you would have to try Interact. With that said, each system should have 1 free Interact Pro license to try and Interact does support those environments.
Tubman

Post by Tubman »

Hi sp90378, you don't even have a guesstimate on the end of support for the X series servers?
sp90378

Post by sp90378 »

Dont know. I know the 24X is not supported past 8.0 I believe, and we stopped selling the 6X12 a while ago, but as far as the rest of the X series, to my knowledge, they are still fully supported, and no end in sight. We work closely with their support team, so we are normally among the first to find these things out.