If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

Transitioning away from line appearances due to growth

General installation and configuration help.
kellenw

Transitioning away from line appearances due to growth

Post by kellenw »

We currently run 12 channels on a sip trunk, but due to company growth I will be increasing this to 20 channels in the next few weeks. We have always run in a key system style configuration with PFKs assigned for all 12 line appearances. This has worked great for years. However, it's not really practical to run with 20 line appearances, so instead I'm looking to move to park monitors (single park monitor per button, using 701-709... so the buttons can be pressed to retrieve the parked call). I feel like this configuration will help the staff make the adjustment relatively painlessly since I can still label the park monitor buttons "line 1", "line 2", "line 3" and so forth, so they can continue to inform other staff members of these parked calls in the same fashion as they did with line appearances.

Since I've only ever managed Allworx systems with line appearance style setups, I'm a little unsure as to what the best approach to configuring call routing, ring groups and so forth really is in this case. We currently have 4 existing DIDs that simply ring to the line appearances (no special routing). Those will remain routing to our service department. However, I'm also adding 3 additional DIDs that are to be routed to other departments, which I've never done. I've always simply used seperate trunks or COs for other departments, but we've also outgrown that as a viable method. As a result, I need to be able to route 1 of these new DIDs to Accounting, 1 to HR and 1 to Marketing. For these new department DIDs, do I need to do ring groups, call appearances, system extensions, something else?

Equipment: Connect 731 on version 9.x. Phones are a mix of Verge 9312 and the old 9224 units.

Thanks for any advice!
wshrader

Re: Transitioning away from line appearances due to growth

Post by wshrader »

1) Best practice is never to use Line Appearances with SIP trunks.
2) You don't need a Park Monitor for each orbit. This is one great advantage Allworx has over hosted PBX. One Park Monitor PFK will show a call parked on any of the monitored orbits. You hit that button (just like the built-in Park button) to see the list of parked calls. IMHO not including an LED for that button was design failure. If it could light to indicate calls are parked it would eliminate the need for a seperate Park Monitor.
3) As far as call routing, using a PBX system (vs. Key) is more versatile and easier to scale. What you need is far more involved that a simple how-to in a forum post but once it is explained or configured I have no doubt you'll understand it and find it more intuitive. Think of the Call Appearances as all the Line Appearances in one. You can use multiple Call Appearances (and route extensions to them) to suit your needs.
If you are an Allworx partner, you can call their technical support for help or engage one of the regional sales engineers. If you need professional help you can send me a private message to arrange it.
For professional Allworx help call me! PM me for my number. :ugeek: