If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

Does "DIDs Route Locally" work?

General installation and configuration help.
compendic

Does "DIDs Route Locally" work?

Post by compendic »

Hi all,

I have setup and operated several Allworx systems going back a number of years and have had very few problems with the system, ever. But one feature is confounding me, because it appears that it simply does not work.

I have a system that uses SIP trunks for most outbound and inbound calls, and the system has quite a few DIDs defined. I am trying to set it up so that people using phones in the phone system can dial other users via their outside DID phone numbers rather than their internal extensions. This is something that the SIP trunk provider (BCM One, formerly Nexvortex) cannot handle on their own, which is pretty typical. If you place a call through the outbound SIP Proxy and the dialed phone number is one of your own DIDs, the call fails; the provider cannot route a "hairpin" call like that.

So, to make this work (as I understand it), Allworx has a simple feature that takes calls to numbers in the DID inventory and automatically routes them to the associated extensions, essentially processing them as extension-to-extension calls and bypassing the trunk provider entirely. This is turned on, as far as I understand, by enabling the "DIDs Route Locally" option in the DID Routing Configuration section of the Dial Plan page of the management console. It looks simple enough -- turn it on or turn it off; there don't appear to be any other options. But I've turned it on and nothing seems to happen. Outbound calls to DIDs still get routed via the SIP Proxy and still fail.

Has anyone had any experience with this and made it work? Are there gotchas here I'm not aware of? What am I doing wrong?
jsmith

Re: Does "DIDs Route Locally" work?

Post by jsmith »

What does your packet capture look like? Is the call leaving server?
wshrader

Re: Does "DIDs Route Locally" work?

Post by wshrader »

compendic wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:32 pm Hi all,

I have setup and operated several Allworx systems going back a number of years and have had very few problems with the system, ever. But one feature is confounding me, because it appears that it simply does not work.

I have a system that uses SIP trunks for most outbound and inbound calls, and the system has quite a few DIDs defined. I am trying to set it up so that people using phones in the phone system can dial other users via their outside DID phone numbers rather than their internal extensions. This is something that the SIP trunk provider (BCM One, formerly Nexvortex) cannot handle on their own, which is pretty typical. If you place a call through the outbound SIP Proxy and the dialed phone number is one of your own DIDs, the call fails; the provider cannot route a "hairpin" call like that.

So, to make this work (as I understand it), Allworx has a simple feature that takes calls to numbers in the DID inventory and automatically routes them to the associated extensions, essentially processing them as extension-to-extension calls and bypassing the trunk provider entirely. This is turned on, as far as I understand, by enabling the "DIDs Route Locally" option in the DID Routing Configuration section of the Dial Plan page of the management console. It looks simple enough -- turn it on or turn it off; there don't appear to be any other options. But I've turned it on and nothing seems to happen. Outbound calls to DIDs still get routed via the SIP Proxy and still fail.

Has anyone had any experience with this and made it work? Are there gotchas here I'm not aware of? What am I doing wrong?
What do you mean by "fail"? Exactly what happens? Fast busy? Do you see anything in the System Events about it? What server model and firmware are you using? I recommend updating to the highest version possible, though I'm not convinced about v9.1 yet. I also reiterate what jsmith asks. What does a packet capture show? I don't think I agree that telco hairpin routing failure is typical. This makes no sense given that with hosted solutions every phone typically has a public DID and how would users call each other? Even if they dial an extension, it is the DID that is used for routing. The extension in hosted solutions is simply a speed dial or short code.
For professional Allworx help call me! PM me for my number. :ugeek: