If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

6x Safe Mode Only

General installation and configuration help.
mcbsys

6x Safe Mode Only

Post by mcbsys »

Hi all,

I'm working with a new customer that is happily using their Allworx 6x with 3 POTS lines and about six 9212 phones. I can get into their admin interface fine, but I wanted a test platform to learn on, so I bought a used 6x online to tinker with. On this one, it comes up in Safe Mode and, after I mount a 16GB USB flash drive, tells me under Reboot Operations:

"The Reboot in Normal Mode options have been disabled because no application software has been installed. Until a software update is performed the Allworx can only be booted in Safe Mode."

Near the bottom of the System Events window, I see "tAppLaunch: Application started successfully...launching shell. Version 8.3.12.3."

I tried replacing the power supply (tried 1.5A and 2.5A spares) and get the same results.

Has the software somehow been removed or de-licensed on this box? Is there a solution?

Thanks for your help!
mcbsys

Re: 6x Safe Mode Only

Post by mcbsys »

Well I managed to use OfficeSafe to back up the customer's system and restore it to the the test device, which then let me boot into Normal mode. So that's good. However, I still don't understand the message, "no application software has been installed." I'm used to routers and other appliances where the software/firmware is considered part of the device. How does it work with Allworx?
wshrader

Post by wshrader »

You must load the operating system on the USB flash drive. The safe mode is a bare minimal operating system. In Safe Mode you can see where you would load that. You can only obtain these files from the Allworx Partner portal.
For professional Allworx help call me! PM me for my number. :ugeek:
mcbsys

Post by mcbsys »

Thank you. That makes more sense. The client's software is apparently on their compact flash card. By doing a backup/restore to my test unit, it loaded the software onto the USB flash drive that I inserted.
wshrader

Post by wshrader »

mcbsys wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:14 pm Thank you. That makes more sense. The client's software is apparently on their compact flash card. By doing a backup/restore to my test unit, it loaded the software onto the USB flash drive that I inserted.
That's one way of doing it. They you can do a reboot with factory defaults. Keep in mind that that the previously-owned 6x will likely not have the same Feature Keys (licenses) as your client's.
mcbsys

Post by mcbsys »

The client is using internal phones only with three POTS lines on FXO ports. Their analog fax currently bypasses the Allworx entirely. No external extensions, no web clients, no email notifications.

I want to migrate them to an ITSP (probably Flowroute) and put their fax on the FXS port. Would that require any new Feature Keys?

Thanks for your advice!
wshrader

Post by wshrader »

mcbsys wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:19 pm The client is using internal phones only with three POTS lines on FXO ports. Their analog fax currently bypasses the Allworx entirely. No external extensions, no web clients, no email notifications.

I want to migrate them to an ITSP (probably Flowroute) and put their fax on the FXS port. Would that require any new Feature Keys?

Thanks for your advice!
No, that should be fine. I would update that 6x as high as possible, which is v8.4 (for free but the files can only be downloaded from the Allworx partner portal) or v8.5 if you have a valid license. I also suggest upgrading to a Connect series server (probably a 324) while you can still get a credit for trade-in. You can purchase a 4-year extended warranty which not only provides an inital total 5 year warranty but enables you to extend it another 3 years when that expires. 8 years hardware warranty seems like a good deal to me.
mcbsys

Post by mcbsys »

Thanks again. I did get Flowroute working on my test unit. Thought inbound audio was failing but finally figured out that the handset on the phone I borrowed was faulty (no wonder it was on the shelf in their office!). Even got outbound fax working through Flowroute on an FXS port.

For now this is just a semi-urgent project to get them off increasingly expensive analog lines without introducing new equipment. Hopefully we can get back to some long-term planning soon. Allworx seems like a nice appliance-based option. I've been doing software PBXs in recent years, mostly cloud-based 3CX, so I'll probably lean in that direction.
wshrader

Post by wshrader »

mcbsys wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:44 pm Thanks again. I did get Flowroute working on my test unit. Thought inbound audio was failing but finally figured out that the handset on the phone I borrowed was faulty (no wonder it was on the shelf in their office!). Even got outbound fax working through Flowroute on an FXS port.

For now this is just a semi-urgent project to get them off increasingly expensive analog lines without introducing new equipment. Hopefully we can get back to some long-term planning soon. Allworx seems like a nice appliance-based option. I've been doing software PBXs in recent years, mostly cloud-based 3CX, so I'll probably lean in that direction.
Allworx now has a hosted version called "Vx". It is the same interface as the appliance but it lacks features only an appliance can provide, of course. For example, direct connection of analog devices like phones, over-head paging, etc. If they are satisfied with the Allworx platform but don't want the up-front cost of buying a new appliance consider the hosted/virtual as an option. This will end some day but currently you can still get a discount by trading in an x-series server on the purchase of the Connect series. It is backwards-compatible with all legacy Allworx handsets.

:o I don't think I've ever used so many hypenated words in so few sentences.
mcbsys

Post by mcbsys »

Great info, thanks!