If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

New (old) Allworx

General installation and configuration help.
mfinley

New (old) Allworx

Post by mfinley »

Allworx 6X

Hi guys- I am the default amateur phone/IT administrator for a small office. Yesterday after a power outage, our Allworx 6X failed to power back up. I was hoping it was the power supply, but I tried a universal 12 volt DC supply to no avail. Looks like the unit is fried.

So, I have a refurb Allworx 6X unit coming tomorrow. I notice that the old unit has a flash drive in it, will this be as simple as popping the old flash drive into the new unit and it will be configured?

Or am I looking at a whole process of trying to configure this thing? Every phone on every desk is sitting there stuck in a loop, looking for the old unit that is dead. I do know the IP of the old unit, I got that from the boot settings on the handsets, I used to go to that IP :1080 to configure extensions, etc. Will the new unit log on the LAN or do I need to tell it it's address?

What kind of setup am I looking at here, is it pretty challenging? Anything to point me in the right direction here would be appreciated.
wshrader

Re: New (old) Allworx

Post by wshrader »

If the CF card has not been corrupted, you can typically put that into another 6x (known-working) and it will boot normally and you would be done. I hope you have been regularly backing up this 6x using OfficeSafe. If the CF card is kaput and you don't have a backup then you're stuck setting it up from scratch.
IF the CF card is good and it boots normally, you'll lose the Feature Keys of the original (licenses). You will only have the Feature Keys of the 'new' 6x. If you had any that are different and were using them you're screwed. Allworx would transfer these in the past to a NEW server but they haven't done that for a few years now. My suggestion is, in either case, to trade-in the 6x (while you still can) with the aid of an authorized partner (I work for one) to upgrade to the currently supported server line. The 6x is now going on 3 years since end-of-life. It is not supported and no longer manufactured.
For professional Allworx help call me! PM me for my number. :ugeek:
mfinley

Post by mfinley »

Ok thanks- of course no backups were being done. I guess I'll just pop the card in and see what happens.

I don't know what a feature key is. Due to budget constraints. I have to make this work.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post, that's very kind of you I really appreciate it.
mfinley

Post by mfinley »

Well, it’s stuck in safe mode.

The interface claims that the flash disk is not “mounted”….when I hit “mount” it says the operation failed because the disk isn’t formatted. But the warning message for “format” command says that will actually blow away this things operating system.
I don’t understand how my old card is not formatted.

I’m stuck here. The interface won’t let me do anything. There is a detailed system events log that shows some server conflicts…I wonder if its old IP is taken and it’s stuck there.

Or this particular unit can’t see the cards? I have got to get this working.
wshrader

Post by wshrader »

Formating the CF card from safe mode will only make it ready to install the operating system proper. It won't mess with the basic OS which is what the safe mode is. You do need to format the CF card before mounting. Then you can install the firmware (OS) from a file you may have downloaded from the partner portal. As I said before, I would start with the version you know it was originally running then upgrade step-by-step as far as you can. I.E. v7.4>v7.5>v7.6, etc. Any sub-version is ok for these steps, such that v7.4.1 can go to v7.5.99 even if there is a higher v7.4 and/or v7.5 available.

You put the original CF Card in the 'new' 6x? If you cannot monitor the console output then the card may be kaput. Try with both CF cards in both servers.
mfinley

Post by mfinley »

OK- thank you so much. I have not downloaded the OS- can you point me to the portal so I can do so?

Thanks again- I'm under a lot of pressure to get this running.
mfinley

Post by mfinley »

Oops I didn't answer your question- Yes the original CF card from our phone system, which has worked for years, only boots to safe mode- it also lists the only option is to reformat the card.
That part doesn't make sense to me- I'm quite sure our card was formatted. I guess I will just download the OS and re-build the configuration. It's only a couple of outside lines and a dozen extensions.
mfinley

Post by mfinley »

Having trouble finding this portal to get the OS, can you point me in the right direction?

We are a treatment center here, having these phones down is interfering with our ability to help our patients, I have to get this old system running and budget is zero!
wshrader

Post by wshrader »

mfinley wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:58 pm Having trouble finding this portal to get the OS, can you point me in the right direction?

We are a treatment center here, having these phones down is interfering with our ability to help our patients, I have to get this old system running and budget is zero!
You can only access the portal if you're an authroized Allworx Partner. I work for one so I could offer professional assistance but not gratis. You can call Allworx to get contact information for the one for your region.
joliebrousseau

Post by joliebrousseau »

replacing a failed Allworx 6X unit with a refurb one can be a bit of a process, but it is doable. If the old unit's configuration was saved to the flash drive, you can try popping it into the new unit to see if it works. If not, you'll need to configure the new unit manually by connecting to its web interface using a web browser and setting up the necessary settings, such as IP address and extensions. It can be challenging, but there are resources available online, including Allworx's website, that can provide guidance.