If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

Vlans Allworx

General installation and configuration help.
Gtelcom

Vlans Allworx

Post by Gtelcom »

On all my installs so far we never set up vlans and have seem to have no problems thus far are you guys using vlans and if so why
justingoldberg

Re: Vlans Allworx

Post by justingoldberg »

Vlans is the best practice, it keeps data and voice traffic separate afaik.

I'm still learning it myself. It's best to get comfortable with vlans on a specific brand of switch.

You should learn it for future installs. ;)
Gtelcom

Post by Gtelcom »

Setting up a cisco sf 24p in office now with Vlans will post how to once I figure it out :)
mviola

Post by mviola »

VLANS are a good way of setting up the network for voice and data because while you can leverage the same infrastructure such as cabling and switches and still have seperation of all the network traffic. Broadcast storms or other network degrading issues on the data network will not impact the quality of the voice network.

In addtion, having the seperate networks (aka VLAN's) you can have the Allworx server act as the DHCP server for the voice network, thereby suppying all the time and server parameters for the phones, while keeping the existing, DHCP server for the data network. This will help with the speed of the install.

If the switch supports LLDP, the Allworx phones can Auto Detect the settings for the voice and data VLANS so once the data switches are setup, depoying phones will be no more difficult then what you are doing today.

While VLANs are not requried to have a well functioning Allworx system on the network, it will go a long way in helping preventing quatlity issues and streamline the installation process.