If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

Cordless Phone

General installation and configuration help.
BHS

Cordless Phone

Post by BHS »

I have been tasked with adding a cordless phone to a workstation on our Allworx 48x system. I maintain the system but I was not the one that set it up and I am less sure how to add a cordless phone. I have looked pretty extensively online but I can't seem to find any info on adding a cordless phone. I talked to the company we purchased the system from and they said it was possible to add the phone but I would like to try and install it myself before paying them to come out.
Anyone know of any documentation for this process or if it is even possible? We just want to add a simple Panisonic cordless phone to a workstation.

Thanks!
doom1701

Re: Cordless Phone

Post by doom1701 »

How are you defining "workstation"? We've got a few cordless phones plugged into Linksys analog adapters--the setup is really simple. If the cordless is at the same physical site as the 48X, you could use one of the analog ports built into it (assuming they aren't all being used).
adidasrta

Post by adidasrta »

we use the grandstream ata ht286 converter which converts IP to analog. It works really well.

From there, you can get a normal cordless phone. Alternatively, you can get a wireless IP phone, however cost jumps up significantly. How far will the cordless phones need to work?

The Snom DECT phones work really well, but in my experience, only have a range of about 75-100 feet in real world use. You can try the CISCO WIP 300 phones, but you'll need to make sure you have a solid Wireless Mesh.
justingoldberg

Post by justingoldberg »

You can use a cordless phone on the allworx. Under Handsets select "New analog handset" at the very top. Select an existing user or give it an extension. Then plug it into the corresponding port (4 through 8). Then connect it to the right patch panel port that goes to the desk. If the desk and phone are using the same cable (a single home run) then you'll need a cabling tech to run a new cable or possibly extend an existing unused cable from a nearby desk.