If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

Voicemail to email attachment

General installation and configuration help.
marcstanley

Voicemail to email attachment

Post by marcstanley »

I have a client I set up to receive there voicemail to there email accounts. Works just fine except, the clients with the iPhone work great and the clients with the Android do not. They receive the email but the attachment says it is and unsupported file type.

I tried both attachment formats in the Allworx.

Anybody ran into this.
doom1701

Re: Voicemail to email attachment

Post by doom1701 »

We've seen this with dorked up versions of Android, typically put out by Motorola. Stock Android doesn't have trouble with the file type--yet another reason to demand that manufacturers not dork up Android!

Anyway, here's a post I found online about installing an app called "Remote Wav" that we've had users try successfully:

With numerous threads regarding the inability to open voicemail .wav attachments sent from corporate (and other) voice servers, I wanted to share my discovery/solution. It involves the purchase of the "Remote Wave" app from the Android Market, but requires one important step that I was previously overlooking.

Someone had suggested downloading Remote Wave, as it was apparently developed for this specific purpose, but like most I found that even with it loaded on my Droid, I was never given the opportunity to open the voicemail .wav attachment with anything other than the native media player. My voicemails are sent to me through my corporate email and if I clicked on "open" it would open the native media player then tell me that the player could not play that file type.

Here's how I got mine to work.....I forwarded one of my emails with the voicemail .wav file to my GMail email address. It has been noted that GMail will ask you which player you wish to open the file with, unlike the other (non-GMail) email app. Once you forward the voicemail, go ahead and select "preview" (only choice) which will open the file in GMail, then it will ask you which player you wish to open with. Before selecting Remote Wave, note below that there is a check box to check that says to use this as the default each time....CHECK THE DEFAULT BOX, THEN SELECT REMOTE WAVE. Your message will then go ahead and play from Remote Wave, but more importantly....YOU HAVE MADE REMOTE WAVE THE DEFAULT FOR THIS ACTION IN EITHER MAIL APPLICATION!!!!

Now go back to your other email (in my case my corporate email) and open your voicemail attachment as you have been trying to do previously....YOU WILL NOW BE ABLE TO LISTEN TO YOUR VOICEMAIL IN REMOTE WAVE JUST LIKE YOU COULD IN GMAIL!!!

I hope that this works the way it did for me, but I'm sure there are certain situations where it won't .....Good Luck!!
marcstanley

Post by marcstanley »

Thank you for the great post.

I will try this.

Thanks
JDCJ

Post by JDCJ »

Remote WAV worked ok on my Droid X (Motorola), but I found that changing the file type to WAV PCM worked. Even better is adding the Allworx Mobile feature with app. WOrks great for reviewing and deleting, sending, forwarding voice mail. Only drawback is that it is not push oriented, so you have to open the app manually to see if you have new messages (unless you do the VM -> email also).
liftow

Post by liftow »

Can someone explain the difference between the two Voicemail Attachment Format options: WAV G.711 uLaw and WAV PCM.
The default G.711 seems to work fine.
Will PCM result is smaller file sizes/lower quality?
I haven't tested and didn't find anything in the documentation.
justingoldberg

Post by justingoldberg »

WAV PCM is uncompressed and (is probably, haven't verified this) larger filesize. Either should play on most media players. I'd suggest changing it to uncompressed PCM WAV if someone has trouble playing the files, otherwise stick with the smaller filesizes.

By the way, I have trouble using Call Assistant to record calls as g.711, the audio sounds sped up, but recording as PCM WAV is ok. My computer has the default codec installed for playback, Microsoft CCITT g.711 a-law and u-law codec version 4.00.

I couldn't fix the file in Audacity.