If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

SonicWALL with Allworx?

General installation and configuration help.
ryano

SonicWALL with Allworx?

Post by ryano »

Hi All,

We are planning to get a new SonicWALL NSA 220.

We would like to use it as a 3rd party firewall with our Allworx 6x.

Any suggestions one what settings one needs on the SonicWALL so it plays nice with our Allworx?

Thanks!
Ryan
leetrans

Re: SonicWALL with Allworx?

Post by leetrans »

Is this specifically for remote phones and remote features? Or are you passing SIP/Phone traffic through it as well?

I have the two separate, so my firewall is specifically used for remote access.
ryano

Post by ryano »

@leetrans - We do not use remote phones or remote features.

This is just about adding a 3rd party firewall in front of the Allworx phone system which would be in LAN mode, and would be sharing the same firewall as the rest of the computers on the network. The Allworx would then use this firewall to communicate with the SIP provider.

I've read this is possible, but one needs to do some port forwarding and make some special configurations on the SonicWALL for this to work.

I'm wondering if anyone has been able to do this successfully and if so, could you please share how you setup your SonicWALL to make this work.

Thanks!
Ryan
rickbharper

Post by rickbharper »

Ryan,
I don't have experience specifically with setting up an Allworx system with that SonicWall, but I do have extensive experience with the NSA 220 firewall and if you haven't already purchased one I would caution against it! In my previous job we had approximately 16 of those firewalls in use at branch offices and experienced a lot of issues. Each of our offices had 20-30 people and we used SIP phones along with a lot of videoconferencing and hosted services. The NSA 220's would require almost daily reboots as they never seemed to remove inactive entries from the state-tables and after a day of use the processor usage on the firewall would hit 100% and effectively lock up the entire unit. Most times the GUI wouldn't respond at all and the only way to restore traffic was to pull the power plug and 'hard reboot' the unit.

We ended up replacing most of the firewalls with Intel atom based appliances running pfSense.

Sorry I'm not more help with the Allworx set-up, but hopefully I can save you some headaches in the long run.