If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

Generic SIP remote phone

General installation and configuration help.
kawablur

Generic SIP remote phone

Post by kawablur »

I'm attempting to get a polycom phone connected as a remote phone on my Allworx server. In the office, we have an external DSL line that I can use for testing remote connections. When I connect the phone to this DSL line, I am able to register with the Allworx server, send and receive calls from both internal phones and external lines. The problem comes when the phone goes to the users house, or when I try it from my house. Again I'm able to register from my house, but I can't place or receive calls. I've read where someone had similar problems, and fixed it by bridging his home router but that isn't really an option. Any ideas?
kawablur

Re: Generic SIP remote phone

Post by kawablur »

Nobody has any ideas at all?

A few of the things I've tried.
Extending the UDP port range that my work firewall listens on. Since registration occurs, it seemed likely that the call was simply going across a port other than 15000-15501
NATing the phone to my external ip address at my house
Setting the phone to the DMZ on my home router.
Setting port forwarding on home router to match the settings for allworx in my work firewall

It just doesn't make sense to me how it doesn't work from one place to another. With the external line at work, it's completely outside our network. It's using the same DSL modem that is used in homes with no special configurations at all. Yet when it goes to a home, the only thing that works is registering the phone.
advantagevoice

Re: Generic SIP remote phone

Post by advantagevoice »

Couple things to try:
1. Make sure networks aren't double NATed. If the dsl/cable modem is doing NAT along with, say, a wireless router, that can cause problems with VOIP and SIP.
2. Make sure the routers have up to date firmware and SIP ALG is turned off.
3. Make sure a STUN server is set in the phone.
4. Assign and forward custom SIP and RTP ports to the phone.