If anyone is interested in helping create a new site logo please email webmaster@allworxforums.com

PLEASE NOTE: Allworxforums.com is not owned, nor run by Allworx Corp. The views and opinions found on this forum are not necessarily the views of Allworx or the forum moderators. Neither Allworx nor the forum will be held liable for any information found on the forum. The Allworx logo and name is a registered trademark of Allworx Corp.

Reboot is going sideways -- PITA

Anything not categorized above.
irishwhiskey

Reboot is going sideways -- PITA

Post by irishwhiskey »

We have noticed this several times in the past- but it has happened three times this week.

These are 324 or 536 servers.

Customer loses power and when it comes back up the 93xx sets will not register. The sets are looking for DHCP -- even though DHCP is off on the server and disabled on the sets. Requires that we have o go into admin at the set and put in the correct static.

THis happened three times this week.. Also, we needed to reboot yesterday to update DNS server. Same thing it was passing out DHCP even though it was turned off.

Called Allworx support and they said it was because the server was booting up in safe mode. Two questions: 1) Why is it booting in SM, and 2) How do we prevent this?
wshrader

Re: Reboot is going sideways -- PITA

Post by wshrader »

1) In safe mode, the Allworx IP address is 192.168.2.254 and DHCP is enabled so that one may connect directly to it and access it. The first client will be offered 192.168.2.1. The power button will be amber. It seems to me a silly question why a server would do this after suddenly losing power although I do not know the specific conditions which would cause this. Most of the time I have seen that Connect series servers will boot normally after sudden power loss. It at the time immediately after the power loss, if power is restored very quickly that the Allworx detects insufficient voltage. This will cause a safe mode boot, expecially on x- series. I cannot testify to this with Connects.
2) See above and by all means, put the Allworx on an UPS (uninterruptible power supply)!

3) Why do you have the handsets set with static IP addresses? I've seen this more than often than I can understand. What is the use case? It is possible the sudden power loss could cause the phones to lose their configuration (be defaulted). The proper thing to do is enable DHCP and if possible on the DHCP server (usually a firewall, router or Windows server), set DHCP option 66 the the Allworx Connect static IP address. This way, a defaulted phone does not need manual intervention to set the boot server IP address.

BTW, this isn't off-topic. I normally would not have read this.
For professional Allworx help call me! PM me for my number. :ugeek: